Introduction: CRFS in Haarlem
- Haarlem has organized a structural exchange of knowledge between civil servants, entrepreneurs, knowledge institutes in the (large) region on this subject.
- Haarlem is a frontrunner in the field of Circular Horeca and disseminates this knowledge in the region through networks such as Food Connects.
- Haarlem has national and European projects running and makes use of the national and European network
- Haarlem together with other decentralized works (Province of NH, Rijkswaterstaat (VANG Buitenshuis) G40, MRA, VNG) to move traditional companies to circular working.
50% of the food-related companies and institutions have come into contact with the circular local food system through the municipality. Catering entrepreneurs actively work together to become more circular in their business. (formerly frontrunner group). 50% of the catering entrepreneurs are familiar with the 'Koplopergroep Circulaire Restaurants'. Circular Restaurant. Attention to plant-based, local, seasonal and organic food, by campaigns and activities
The municipality has reached 50% of the inhabitants of Haarlem to eat more plant-based, local, seasonal, and organic and encourages Haarlemmers not to waste food;
- Every district has some form of urban farming/vertical farming
- Local sustainable food cooperatives are actively encouraged.
Current state analysis
Key value chains:
- Reducing food waste.
- Stimulating sustainable Food Choices.
- Stimulating city agri culture to create awareness.
- Reducing Single Use Packaging ( restaurants).
- Citizens of Haarlem
- Policy Makers
- Initiatives / Foundations
Key policymakers and authorities:
- National Government
External forces, drivers and change factors & Needs and Requirements:
- Long term commitment
- Long term locations ( City Agri Culture)
Strengths: Direct contact with initiatives
Weaknesses / Threats: Depending on commitment of individuals. Businesscases too small. Not enough space for city agri culture locations.
Opportunities: Collaboration between different projects and Stakeholders.
Other relevant and interesting attributes of Food System :
- Creating instruments for municipalities to implement long term contracts to stimulate city urban agriculture.
Implement the need of a sustainable food system in our policy in our transition to a circular city,